On Instagram, the end of the year is when everyone starts posting their “Top Nine”. I thought I’d do my own take on that concept and choose my personal top nine favorite moments from 2018.
1. Watching the Eagles win the Superbowl! It was so surreal to see Broad Street filled shoulder to shoulder with people celebrating afterwards. Being part of such a monumental moment for my city was an incredible experience.
2. To celebrate my 26th birthday, TJ and I did a weekend trip to New York City. We went to see the Michelangelo exhibit at the MET, ate delicious handmade pasta, and strolled around Brooklyn.
3. February also marked the beginning of the Weekly Lettering challenge with my friend Emily. Our goal was to strengthen our lettering skills, which had grown a bit rusty since graduation, and just have fun with it! I’m proud to say that we’ve kept up with it for the most part (I may have missed one week around the holidays) and we even opened our own Etsy shop.
4. My lovely friends Chris and Gabby approached me earlier this year and asked if I would design a logo for their new donut shop, Nauti Donuts, in Ocean City. What began as a logo design quickly developed into stationery, packaging, photography, and a website. It was an honor to be a part of their business launch, and their donuts are seriously amazing.
5. In June, TJ and I went on vacation with his family out west. We visited Zion National Park, Lake Powell, Horseshoe Bend, Antelope Canyon, Monument Valley, Moab, Arches National Park, Canyonlands, and Salt Lake City.
6. Two months later, I went on another National Park vacation with my family to Wind Cave National Park, Mount Rushmore, Deadwood, Badlands National Park, Rapid City, and Boulder.
7. September marked my 4 year anniversary working at Dyad! It’s somewhat strange to think that that’s the same amount of time I spent in college, yet this seemed to go by much more quickly (in a good way).
8. Speaking of Dyad, one of my favorite projects this year was designing an anniversary logo and new website for Metropolitan Bakery. Since we typically work with architects and interior designers, this project was a nice change of pace, and I loved that it was a local business. I even got to try my hand at food styling and art directing the photography.
9. And lastly, I had the incredible honor of being included in the Fall 2018 issue of Whitespace Magazine. I had submitted some of my travel photography from Venice — I thought the colorful houses of Burano would be perfect for the issue’s “Burst” theme. As one of twelve artists included in the printed art show section, I had to pinch myself after seeing my work in print!
And just for fun, this was my actual Instagram top nine — apparently a lot of other people love the colors of autumn too!
I Forgot to Remember: A Memoir of Amnesia, Su Meck and Daniel De Visé
The Greatest Showman
Things Cooks Know
Marbled Peppermint Bark