Broccoli Cheese Soup
5 hours 15 minutes
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ cup flour
- 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 32 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 pound broccoli crowns roughly chopped
- 8 ounces colby jack cheese shredded
- 6 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 ounces parmesan cheese freshly grated
1. Melt butter in a small saucepan, add onions and garlic, and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add flour and stir until flour is well incorporated (at least 1 minute). Slowly whisk evaporated milk into flour mixture until smooth.
2. Pour the mixture into slow cooker, add chicken broth, and whisk to combine. Add broccoli, black pepper, and salt. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
3. Remove cover, add cheese, and stir until melted. Ladle soup into bowls and top with additional cheddar cheese if desired.